Sunday 2 October 2011

Book Review: Mirror Mirror By Gregory Maguire


     Gregory Maguire is probably best known for his re-interpretation of modern classics. The Wicked trilogy re-imagine The Wizard of Oz while confessions of an ugly step sister, which looks at the tale of Cinderella from an unexpected angle. Mirror Mirror is the re-telling of Snow White, and an absolute triumph. When my six year old asked me what I was reading and I told her Snow White, she scoffed stating that there was only one Snow White, and that to her is the Disney version. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started reading this, but it certainly wasn't what unfolded on the page. Maguire has somehow managed to merge a fairly well known fairytale with real life characters (In this case the Borgia's), and a few mystical elements chucked in for good measure and the result is Mirror Mirror. The story only occasionally borders on the confusing, but for the majority of the time it is a delight from start to finish. I'm not going into too much detail concerning plot for fear of ruining how the story pans out but I will say that in context it makes perfect sense.

     I can only hope that Maguire keeps up with this tradition or re-inventing old classics because he has a habit of making something that was getting a bit old suddenly new again. For anyone who enjoyed Wicked this is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment